This year is one that will go down as the best, worst year of my adult life.
What does that mean, exactly?
It means it was a challenging, ugly year that caused incredible personal growth. As much as I’d like to share what exactly happened, it’s quite messy and would best be saved for the book I’m writing. (Just kidding, the book isn’t about that.😁)
Last year I picked 10 goals that I wanted to pursue in 2017, and funny enough, those are the same goals that I have for 2018…only modified. I did accomplish 7 of the 10 goals, but there is always room for improvement.
Here we go!
My 2018 Goals
1. More Godly contentment. This is a major, huge desire of mine and I do feel like I have gained more Godly contentment in 2017. I feel like the chaos and curve balls that came my way did not disable me like they would have in the past. I didn’t desperately seek the approval of others like I’ve done so many times, but this will always be what I strive for. In 2018, I will have even more Godly contentment.
2. Grow my faith. As mentioned, 2017 was hard, but God had a plan. So many times things would go wrong, but we were able to see the purpose of most of those disasters. I struggled with some unbelief, but boy oh boy did He rock. my. world. (I’ll share that story one day, but for now just know it was powerful.) My family started attending an incredible church, and for the first time since moving to South Carolina in 2009, I feel like I belong. These people are the most kind, genuine, and caring, and I love my church! I am also serving for the first time in my life and it such a blessing to me. Keith and I
didn’t complete a Bible study at home like I’d hoped **edited** did finish the Beth Moore study on King David, and that was a complete Godsend. I’ll be posting about that soon. we would, but we did jump around in different studies. In 2018, I will continue to grow my faith and join a small group.
3. New War Room. I did make a new War Room (a prayer closet that you go to battle in prayer in!), but I haven’t been using it. My plan for this upcoming year is to clean out this closet (it’s being used for storage) and use my War Room on a daily basis so that I can fight the real enemy with God’s Word, rather than the flesh. In 2018, I will grow my prayer life in my War Room.
4. Stop cussing. Sad but true, I still have quite a vulgar mouth. It’s a weakness and a flaw, but I’m trying to squash this *beep* this year. 😂 In 2018, I will speak life and stop cussing.
5. Reach my goal weight. In 2017 I merely wanted to improve my health, but thanks to my amazing health coach, I found a program that has changed my life! I have lost nearly 18 pounds since the summer and am only 15 pounds away from my goal weight. I have so much energy, am sleeping better, fit into clothes that have been packed away, and have a renewed zest for life. So much so, that I’ve become a health coach myself and desire to help pay it forward. In 2018, I will reach my goal weight and help others reach their health goals.
6. Love my husband better. I feel like I completely failed at this one in 2017. Things were challenging and my ugly came out, and my husband got to witness it all. I am thankful that he loves me through my imperfections and for a new day to try again. In 2018, I will love Keith better through my words, prayers, and actions.
7. Be more intentional with my children. This one is dear to my heart, and I’m happy to say that I spent less time scrolling on my phone and more time playing with my kids. One of our favorite things to do together is read books, and we have all immensely enjoyed story time together. In 2018, I will continue to spend quality time with my children, and take them on more outings.
8. Write more. This one I accomplished! I have started writing my first novel, and am about 20k words in. I adore writing and feel so alive when I am creating this world. I can’t wait for you guys to meet Liv and Evelyn and Rose and Robert! 😱 My goal is to have my book finished by April so that I can start editing it, and take the manuscript with me to the Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writer’s Conference in May. I am hoping to snag some time with an agent or editor, and see if my words can be published! In 2018, I will finish writing my novel and attend the BRMCWC!
9. Read more. Yes, yes, YES. Read more I certainly did. The initial goal for 2017 was to read a book a month, and while I didn’t meet that goal, I did end the year reading 8 books. I genuinely LOVED all but one on the list below (To Capture What We Cannot Keep was flat and disappointing!), and would recommend these 100%. OH, my soul is happy when I’m reading. My goal for 2018 is to try again and start and finish 1 book per month.
10. Go to Italy. In 2017 I really wanted to book a wedding in Italy, and while I’ve been talking to a wedding planner in Tuscany, I have yet to book one. Italy has been my dream since I was 15 years old, and I will always wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to speaking this desire to life. I don’t know when, I don’t know how, but I know something starting right now…watch and you’ll see…someday I’ll beeeeeeee…part of that world. 😀 (Little Mermaid fans, where you at??) In 2018, I will go to Italy.
That’s all folks! What are your goals and dreams for 2018?? How do you plan to make them happen???? I’d love to hear about it!